The Llotja de Futurs operational group ends on October 30 with the participation of IRTA, Radi SL, Gustos Meritem, Serhs Food and the Confraria de Pescadors de l’Escala.
The creation of this operational group, together with the diagnoses made and the proposal of project ideas generated, must allow the integration of fish supply in the social and commercial restoration directly of the primary producer, through a portfolio of ideas and projects applicable to the sector.
This project has allowed after a rigorous study and selection of species for its seasonality, nutritional value, price, proximity, characterization and categorization to agree on the creation and / or distribution of 3 by-products that will integrate the offer of this fish of primary producer in social and commercial catering. We have taken into account dietetics and nutrition to integrate the products in the maximum food preparations as the final consumer are hospital patients, nursing homes and schools in social catering.
The first of all has been the sardine pâté, it is a product born from a previous project of one of the participants (IRTA) and with this project a pilot test will be established in the facilities indicated by Radi SL, also participating in the operational group. The benefits of this by-product is that it does not need evisceration for its production thus reducing its production cost. It also uses sardines as its main material, which, after analyzing all the parameters indicated, has established itself as one of the species with the greatest potential due to its large volume of fishing throughout the year and a stable average price. which allows us to be able to buy continuously and at a stable cost. In addition, the recipe provided by IRTA does not use any type of E, so it is a product with a clean label, thus respecting the health of end consumers as much as possible. But above all, it stands out that by proceeding with a previously done project, it seeks to give continuity to the research and innovation tasks that are being carried out in the participants of the operational group.
The second was the blue crab extract. It is a product that is born after the study of the data of seasonality, volume and price of the Catalan boxes provided by the DARP. And it is implemented with innovative IRTA machinery. The blue crab is an invasive species that is found especially in the Ebro Delta. The main supplier of this crab is the brotherhood of Sant Carles de la Ràpita. They have a high volume and a stable and low average price. What we want to achieve by working on this product is to turn a species that initially acted as an invader of the Ebro Delta into a quality product and that can be applicable in commercial and social restoration. Therefore, following the objectives of the project, we want to be able to use a species that is not usually on the table due to ignorance, lack of adequate marketing channels or having been considered in the offer of social and commercial restoration. Radi SL has undertaken to carry out a test to remove the meat from the blue crab and create a product that can be used in the food sector. In addition, IRTA could test for blue crab extract powder with the Pulse Combustion Dryer.
The third and last has been the fish stock of Roses. It is a product that at first we did not see as a priority. But when we made the different calls to the Catalan markets, we saw that from the Roses market they have an internal machine that they use to create by-products from surpluses and that they sell to everyone. With this by-product we seek to launch a product that follows the line of work, the objectives and challenges of this operational group respecting the local trade and kilometer 0.
Within the objectives related to sustainability and the environment, our by-products allow that it does not have to be necessary to acquire the extraction of crab at international level or of Spain (as it is the case of one of our participants that is acquiring the product in Galicia and Peru) and thus reduce the carbon footprint and enhance kilometer 0. In addition, with the Roses fish stew we are contributing to local trade and products in Catalonia and we avoid food waste as these products work with surpluses taking advantage of all catches.
With the increase in marketing and consumption of food kilometer 0 we can reduce the import of analogous or substitute products and avoid the environmental costs caused by imports, as well as waste reduction, carbon footprints and reduction of food waste by creating new by-products for the food industry.
The final result of the creation of the operational group has allowed:
- Improve knowledge of the sector by identifying good practices.
- Promote the identification of innovative projects and advanced solutions applicable to the Food Services sector using innovative technologies that allow to promote innovation projects in information management (Food Data and I.A.).
- Promote the creation of local by-products that prevent food waste and enhance sustainability.
- Improveenvironmental management and performance.
- Reduction of waste, carbon footprints and reduction of food waste by creating new by-products for the food industry.Millorar el coneixement del sector mitjançant la identificació de bones pràctiques.
MAIN CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES IDENTIFIED:
- Adapt the objectives of the GO to the Covid crisis: opportunities to further improve the hygiene and food safety of products.
Difficulties to connect producer with transformer: opportunity to propose a virtual market project through a real-time data collection and analysis program for Catalan markets.
- Lack of communication between boxes and technological backwardness: to promote an operational group that works to integrate Catalan markets in a community that maintains constant communication and adapts to technological innovations that allow better quality of service and product and benefit both the producer and the consumer.
- Difficulties in including the primary sector in the foodservice value chain: improve communication with this sector and plan to hold seminars dedicated to them to attract them and show how the reality of the foodservice value chain can be boosted if we incorporate them and benefit them all.
SUMMARY LIST OF IDENTIFIED PROJECTS:
- Creating a virtual supply forecasting platform with data averages. A market platform that squares supply with demand based on the variables that are defined can buy fish at day prices or at future prices.
- A pilot test with blue crab extract was considered. IRTA from November 9 will have in its facilities a Pulse Combustion Dryer (apparatus for drying any type of paste), in which the issue of blue crab could go very well. It is a device that needs at least 30 kilograms to produce dust. The amount of powder varies depending on the amount of water in the product.
- An operational group that works to integrate Catalan markets into a community that maintains constant communication and adapts to technological innovations that allow better quality of service and product and benefits both the producer and the consumer.
- Project to create a blue crab meat extraction machinery replicating models such as those from Canada and Norway to make Catalonia a benchmark in this process. And at the same time it can be used to reduce the carbon footprint.